Jun 25, 2013

Graphic Novel Review--Soulless: The Manga Vol. 2 by Gail Carriger & Rem

Settling into her new life as the Lady Woolsey, Alexia finds her days quite challenging. Whether it is a regiment of supernatural soldiers camped out on her front lawn or the demands of being the Queen’s “muhjah,” there never seems to be a want of new hurdles to overcome. But when stories of supernaturals rendered normal by some unknown force begin cropping up, Alexia has a rather serious mystery on her hands. Can she root out the cause of this phenomenon, which smacks of some larger plot at work?









  
Gail Carriger and Rem's second installment, Soulless: The Manga Vol. 2 was just as delightful as the first! Based off of Changeless, the second novel in the Parasol Protectorate series, Alexia is getting used to married life, but being married to an alpha werewolf is not all that easy. Especially when problems with the werewolves start to occur and they are unable to shift. It'll be up to Alexia to try to figure out what has happened.

Another delightful tale shortened into a graphic novel! This one was just as enjoyable as the first! I love seeing the characters. Especially Ivy, she really takes a shine on me in this one since she gets more page time. Her hats are pretty wild as Gail had previously described, but for a few of them I always thought they'd be more outrageous, but they were by far from tamed! And her dilemma of a love life is pretty comical when it can be seen manga-nized! The expressions the characters have are too funny!

Professor Lyall is also surprising, and yet not I guess. His character is drawn almost remorsefully, but from my memory of his written character he was kind of a mellow guy being Conall's Beta and all.

Seeing Madame Lefoux was to die for as well. For some reason I struggled imagining her in the books, but seeing her on the graphic novel page and I knew that this was Madame Lefoux! She stayed true to her character and I just enjoyed actually seeing it!

Once again, I enjoyed the expressions these manga characters made. They were just so right for the character and the timing of whatever situation. 

The storytelling was as wonderful as before. My lack of memory made the reading nice because in some areas it was if I was reading it for the first time! Although at certain points my memory did come back and was ahead of itself!

The romantic moments were a little few and far between in this one. Conall and Alexia weren't together for long on the pages. And then came the ending! Luckily I've read the book series or else I would be in the horrible state of cliffhanger pains like I was when I read the book Changeless! But still, it will be an awfully long wait til November for Volume 3 on the manga books.

 I recommend these graphic novels for anyone who has read the Parasol Protectorate novels because they are highly enjoyable. And as I've said, very fun reads since we get to see the characters and storytelling. Plus they are rather quick reads too!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars



2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a manga version of the series. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really want to read these! i just saw them for the first time the other day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!