Jun 20, 2013

Review--Kitty Steals the Show by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty has been tapped as the keynote speaker for the First International Conference on Paranatural Studies, taking place in London. The conference brings together scientists, activists, protestors, and supernatural beings from all over the world—and Kitty, Ben, and Cormac are right in the middle of it.

Master vampires from dozens of cities have also gathered in London for a conference of their own. With the help of the Master of London, Kitty gets more of a glimpse into the Long Game—a power struggle among vampires that has been going on for centuries—than she ever has before. In her search for answers, Kitty has the help of some old allies, and meets some new ones, such as Caleb, the alpha werewolf of the British Isles. The conference has also attracted some old enemies, who’ve set their sights on her and her friends. 



The Kitty Norville series is yet another one I haven't read in a loooong time! Diving back into this one was somewhat challenging, but lucky these books can kind of stand on their own. Sure, there's a few plotlines that keep developing and continuing into the new books, but I followed along fairly easily.

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Steals the Show takes Kitty and Ben and Cormac to London where Kitty is to attend and speak at The First International Conference on Paranatural Studies. Think RT for humans to learn about the paranormal creatures that are inhabiting their world.

The book has its slow moments, besides attending this conference, Cormac and Amelia--the ghost who is co-inhabiting his body has a favor to ask of Cormac in tracking down some of her distant relatives and then finding a box of some of her belongings that was hidden in her family home. I found this diversion odd, I still can't get use to Cormac and Amelia being one or whatever. I also can't shake the feeling that Amelia might not be a totally friendly spirit. Like she could be plotting something and we just don't know it yet. It's only speculation, I could be entirely wrong, but I can't help but wonder due to her sudden appearance in Cormac's life some books ago.

Tyler, the werewolf solider from two books ago is back and attends the conference as well. In fact, we get to see quite a few characters from past books, such as Luis who Kitty met when she went to Washington D.C. He's a big flirt in this one despite Kitty telling him she's married to Ben.

Which is another thing I am still not used to and they've been married for several books now. I guess I was always Team Cormac and when Kitty turned to Ben instead, I was left heartbroken. Other than a few tender moments here and there between Kitty and Ben there wasn't much romance in this one.

There's quite a bit going on in London. It was hard to keep track of everything. The vamps and weres are divided, yet when crisis hits they end up teaming together, led by Kitty. Kitty is always getting into the thick of things and does what she can to help others, especially ones she considers her friends. Essentially the bad things going on leads back to Roman--who I can't really remember, but basically Kitty sums it up: he's the bad guy. So I am thinking there's going to be more trouble on that front in later books.

This was a good read. I have to say I think this series is starting to drag in its heels...a couple of books ago. I keep sticking with it because I want to see how it all turns out, haven't lost faith yet. Kitty still gets into some interesting and sticky situations and it's entertaining to see how she gets out of them. It's been a long running series and I do hope an end might be near for I don't see too much of a purpose for Kitty other than looking for that HEA ending and yeah, the brewing battle that will involve Roman.


Overall Rating 3/5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!