Jun 27, 2013

Review--Kitty Rocks the House by Carrie Vaughn

On the heels of Kitty's return from London, a new werewolf shows up in Denver, one who threatens to split the pack by challenging Kitty's authority at every turn. The timing could not be worse; Kitty needs all the allies she can muster to go against the ancient vampire Roman if she's to have any hope of defeating his Long Game. But there's more to this intruder than there seems, and Kitty must uncover the truth, fast. 

Meanwhile, bounty hunter Cormac pursues an unknown entity wreaking havoc across Denver, and a vampire from the Order of St. Lazaurus tempts Rick, the master vampire of Denver, with the means to transform his life forever.






Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Rocks the House was a good read, not great, but still good. As I mentioned before in my previous review of the last Kitty book, I feel like I don't know where this series is headed. It's been going on for so long now, that I don't see a clear ending in sight. There is mentioning of this Long Game, Roman is planning that basically will bring nothing but wrought and destruction it seems, but the Long Game doesn't take place this time around.

In this one, Kitty finds herself with her hands full, as usual. She's still in a bit of hot water from her remarks on her radio show about vampires and the Long Game, so she's had to have her boss monitor her shows. If that wasn't enough, there's a new lone wolf in town who wants to join Kitty's pack, yet he is challenging her authority at every turn.

There's also a new vampire in town, Columban, someone who wants to see Rick. Kitty isn't too sure about this vamp. He claims to be a priest of sorts and he's wanted for causing a fire. But when Rick goes missing, Kitty suddenly finds herself wanting to know more and more about this Columban.

This one really threw me for some reason. I guess I am not seeing the point to these novels anymore, not that all series have a game plan in mind, but there has to be something happening that makes you feel more involved...? I don't know, I'm even struggling to explain this. I still read the books, so there is something to them that has me coming back.

Kitty is a strong heroine, she's grown quite a lot and has faced her share of challenges. Although, still not too happy with her choice in romantic partner, but that ship has sailed. But I think because Kitty and Ben are married now, there doesn't seem to be any more romance between them. I haven't read the other books in years since their releases, but I just feel like there should be something more between them since they're married. We do get to see their feelings for one another and how they stand by each other in tough times, but even me, someone who doesn't read romances, wants just a little romance in the book! Never thought I'd hear myself say that!

I was kind of confused with Cormac's role in this one, with Amelia--still not too sure about her, but this one had me wondering if I should trust her, weird I know--he was doing a few tasks for Kitty and then suddenly we're talking about him dealing with something evil? And when this evil pops up near the end, I was left baffled because for some reason I didn't see this coming.

The ending does leave you with a surprise or two. One involving a member of Kitty's family, which I didn't understand the sudden appearance of. So it makes me wonder if something will happen to this family member in a future book and we're setting the scene now. As I tend to say, only time will tell...


Overall Rating 3/5 stars



1 comment:

  1. I love this series, although I'm not caught up on it. I hope Carrie can better define where the series is going in the next book. I'd hate for the series to go downhill. :) Thanks for sharing a great review, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!