Sep 3, 2013

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Here are the rules:
1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.


Okay, so because of the holiday weekend, I have yet to start Origin. Sob! I know! But I'll give you the first two lines of the book, so that way I don't spoiler myself! 


"I was on fire again.Worse than when I got sick from the mutation or when onyx was sprayed in my face." p 1


















TITLE: Origin
AUTHOR: Jennifer L. Armentrout
PUBLISHER: Entangled Publishing
GENRE: Paranormal YA
RELEASE DATE: August 27, 2013



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


This week's topic is: Top Ten Books That You Wish Were Taught In Schools 


*in no particular order


Oh this one's tough! Not sure how many of my books need to be taught in schools since I don't read contemps and am choosing the second topic choice!
A few of these actually were taught in school or in my classes and I just want to pick them again to reiterate the need for them to be taught!


1. THE PRINCESS BRIDE
by William Goldman
Love the book! Love the movie! It needs to be taught!



2. THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
by Alexandre Dumas

What is perhaps my only fave classic! So yeah, teach it up!




3. THE COMPLETE GRIMM'S FAIRY TALES
by The Brothers Grimm

The original, dark fairy tales definitely should be taught! So many themes and topics to examine there!




4. THE HISTORIAN
by Elizabeth Kostava

Quite the interesting read! One that would be good for classes, as there is a lot of historical content!




5. NOCTURNE
by Syrie James

Okay, we're pushing things here! But I just thought this was a beautifully told vampire story and I think we could dig up some themes or whatever English classes need for teaching purposes!




6. THE COMPLETE HARRY POTTER SERIES
by J.K. Rowling

Does Harry Potter need explaining? It's such an iconic series now I think teaching it should definitely happen!




7. BENIGHTED
by Kit Whitfield

I read this one so long ago, but I thought it was definitely an interesting storyline! A very early dystopic almost as only 1% of the world population is human!



8. THE FORBIDDEN GAME TRILOGY
by L.J. Smith

I think a LOT of L.J.'s early books would be an awesome class! The beginning of Paranormal YA before there even was a Paranormal YA! What a class!



9. THE BIRTH OF VENUS
By Sarah Dunant

Another book I read back in the days when Paranormal reads were scarce! This one was quite interesting though. It was before I took my own Europe trip so I enjoyed the setting very much. Probably has some good historical content too being a historical fiction piece.



10. THE FEVER SERIES
by Karen Marie Moning

Because it's kickass, of course!




27 comments:

  1. Cool teaser, thanks for sharing, Jessica!
    Here's my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tease. I'm looking forward to reading this one.
    Thanks for dropping by my TT.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice teaser, I really like it!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, Jessica! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're reading Origin!! Yay! So jealous! I am getting it soon.... need to get my Daemon fix!!

    Thanx for visiting my TT
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I LOVE that teaser for Origin. Everyone seems to be going completely gaga over Daemon, so I think it's a series I'm definitely going to need to check out soon :)

    Thanks for stopping by my TT!

    - Allie @ Little Birdie Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the teaser. There are some districts that still will not allow Harry Potter- it's been banned. Insert eye roll.

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice teaser. I have to catch up on this series. Come see my teasers for This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales and The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great teaser, Jessica, I need to start this series! And I love your list of books that should be taught in school! Have a terrific Tuesday.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum- if the fever series was taught in school I'm certain plenty of people would pay attention. LOL

    Great teaser!
    ~Decadent
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Origin!!! Lots of that this week. I still need to get caught up with this series. I read Obsidian and loved it, but haven't started Onyx yet. I guess that's a good thing though... now I can read them all right in a row! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only did we both put HP on our TTT lists, but I think we both used the same picture. LOL. Still haven't gotten around to reading any Armentrout books, but really want to. :D

    My TTT/TT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like that book starts out w/ a bang! Ha ha and yes to Princess bride and Monte Cristo, good picks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your teaser is making me want to push the series up to the top of my reading list! :D

    I love your list, and The Princess Bride is my fave choice as well as Harry Potter of course. :)
    My TTT @ Donnie Darko Girl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the teaser. I confess I haven't read Onyx yet, so I have some catching up to do. But I can't decide if I want to wait for the last book and reread the whole series then. Hmm...

    Thanks for stopping by Book Sojourner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to take a class in Grimm's Fairy Tales. It's a really special book to me, since it was the first book I ever read, after I had hyperlexia at age three. I didn't read the entire book then and there, but it left me with a lot of important lessons about the often darker side of life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you enjoy the book, Jessica. I think one book everyone should read in HS is "Night" by Elie Weisel. My teaser: Life of Pi

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your teaser! I've been wanting to read that series for a while.

    My Tuesday Teaser:)


    Jackie @Jackie's Book World

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great teaser! I've been wanting to read the Lux series!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are the first two lines?? I'm already hooked. Can't wait to read Origin!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are awesome!! I definitely think that everyone should read Happy Potter lol

    Thanks for stopping by my Tuesday's post! Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great list :) I've read a few of those books and have others on my book shelf patiently waiting. I do need to finish the Fever series!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AHH!! I need to read Origin so bad lol. Thanks for the tease. Hopefully it will hold me over till it gets here.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  23. This one sounds interesting. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Princess Bride = a million times YES! I also have that exact Grimm collection and they should totally be taught. Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Grim Fairy tales, and I adore the idea of them being taught in school with all their gory details. The Disney versions are just too tame. Thanks for visiting my TTT.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!