Jan 27, 2013

Movie Review--Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

In this spin on the fairy tale, Hansel & Gretel are now bounty hunters who track and kill witches all over the world. As the fabled Blood Moon approaches, the siblings encounter a new form of evil that might hold a secret to their past. 


So I went to see Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters today. It was a pretty good movie. Although at times a tad cheesy, and they tended to use words, like the f-bomb and some other modern phrases that just didn't seem to fit the time period. Which is kind of unknown. Just, you know, a long long time ago!

The story starts out the way we all know. Hansel and Gretel are dumped in the woods one night and are left to die, yet they find a candy house and just as they begin to indulge in the treats, the witch captures them. 

It got pretty graphic pretty quick. Blood spilling on young Gretel and everything. They defeated the witch, but don't return to their family. They instead move on and try to build a new life for themselves...hunting other witches and killing them.

They come to a new town where 11 children have gone missing, and they soon catch on that it's due to some ritual the witches want to partake in. And it's up to Hansel and Gretel to stop them and save the children, easier said then done!

The movie was pretty good, despite some of the idiocy of the language for the time. The action was good. "bloody" good. A few moments where I sort of flinched back in surprise because I didn't anticipate the next move, and others where I flinched because it got really really bloody! 

It doesn't take too long before Hansel and Gretel realize their past is about to come back into play, and what they thought they always knew about their family and witches is about to be tested.

I thought I had some of the secrets solved, and in some ways I did, but not in the way I thought. Which was fun, because I really didn't see some of these surprises coming.

There wasn't a whole lot of romance in one. There was a brief and vaguely seen romantic interlude between Hansel and one of the village women, but that was pretty much it.

It was a decent movie, but not one I think I would want to own. I don't regret seeing it either though. Some parts were cheesy and corny, but that's partly MTV for you, since they were apart of the production!

Overall a decent and fun movie worth seeing if you like fairy tales and action!



Overall rating 3.5/5 stars or a B-






5 comments:

  1. I was wondering about this movie. Visually it looked like it might be good but the story seemed a bit flat. Thanks for sharing.

    Crystal @ YA Society

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review sounds about like I would imagine that movie to be. I'll check it out when it comes out on DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this movie too.. wasn't so bad. Got a little cheesy at the very end but it's not like I was looking for an Oscar winning movie.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do want to see this one. thanks for the warnings here too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I LOVED this movie!!! It was so bloody and full of action! It was like a mix of the exorcist, Saw and Grimm! *-* I was just wowed by it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!