Dec 7, 2021

Review--Breath of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

 

SHE'S DESTINED TO DESTROY THE WORLD...
"Cat" Catalia Fisa has been running from her destiny since she could crawl. But now, her newfound loved ones are caught between the shadow of Cat's tortured past and the threat of her world-shattering future. So what's a girl to do when she knows it's her fate to be the harbinger of doom? Everything in her power.

BUT NOT IF SHE CAN HELP IT
Griffin knows Cat is destined to change the world-for the better. As the realms are descending into all-out war, Cat and Griffin must embrace their fate together. Gods willing, they will emerge side-by-side in the heart of their future kingdom...or not at all.

 

 

 

 

After too long I finally picked up the second installment of the Kingmaker trilogy by Amanda Bouchet, with Breath of Fire. Cat and Griffin's journey continues as they fight to save their kingdom and each other. My mind was really sore to try to recall what had happened previously. What I vaguely recalled was Griffin kidnapping Cat for her powers, and naturally, they fall in love amid some bickering and teasing and whatnot. I continue to love the banter between these two, though now things were definitely more on a romantic level of bickering.

Though Cat and Griffin are decidedly a couple, they still have trust issues to work through and this is clearly evident in the beginning of the book. I actually thought things were going in a different direction, until we immediately got back on track. So never fear, Cat and Griffin are pretty much cemented together. 

Cat's evil mother is still at large and being an enemy to contend with, but until that day comes, Cat and Griffin have to deal with the enemies that are in much closer range. From what I gather, they are still doing whatever possible to gain control over their kingdom and put an end to the tyranny their current ruler is terrorizing.

I have to admit, after taking so long to read this one, my mind is drawing a blank as to what happened. There were journeys and quests to be completed, teams to form to help Cat and Griffin gain strength for the battle to come. Since it's been too many years since I read the first book and I have no notes on it, I can't really recall what was going on with some of the secondary characters. We get to see glimpses of them from time to time and it was a bear to remember if they were a pivotal character or not, if they were going to have a moment in the sun. While we do get to see a bit more of Jocasta in the latter half of the novel, Griffin's other family members don't get too much spotlight thrown on them.

What continues to delight me about this series is Cat and Griffin's relationship. Yes, at times Griffin gets a little too Alpha male for my liking, but Cat is always quick with a quip. She dishes it out more than Griffin can handle a time or two. She's truly a heroine worth rooting for. That and her ever present destiny of course.

Things end on a high note with this one and it definitely makes me curious to see how this series will end with the final book. Though I've another priority book to read before that one, hopefully I can read through that one quicker so I'm back in this world before I know it!

Amanda Bouchet really knows how to write an engaging fantasy series. What I love most about this world is its ties to Greek mythology! The Gods are semi-present in this world and I love seeing the familiar names and practices. This series is filled with action, romance, comedic relief, and engaging plots and storylines that hold you riveted and eager to see the story through to its epic conclusion!



Overall Rating 4/5 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!