Jun 8, 2015

Review--All Just Glass by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Sarah Vida has given up everything for love. From a legendary family of vampire-hunting witches, Sarah was raised to never trust a vampire, to never let her guard down, and to avoid all tricky attachments of the heart. But now Sarah IS a vampire—changed by the boy she thought she loved. Her family has forsaken her, and Sarah herself is disgusted by her appetite for blood. 

Aida Vida is Sarah's older sister, the good, reliable sibling who always does her family proud. But when Aida's mother insists that Sarah be found and killed, Aida is given the one assignment that she may not be able to carry out. 


Taking place over just twenty-four hours, ALL JUST GLASS tells the story of a game-changing battle that will forever change the world of the Den of Shadows. And at its center is the story of two sisters who must choose between love and duty. Dark, fully-imagined, and hard to put down, ALL JUST GLASS will thrill Amelia's fans—old and new.


All Just Glass is definitely my favorite, so far, from the newer books in Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's Den of Shadows series. Perhaps, because it involves all the characters from Shattered Mirror, which was my second fave of Amelia's books right after Demon in My View!

Surprisingly, the book picks up shortly after the events of Shattered Mirror, but you don't really have to have read that one to enjoy or understand this one! It's had to be at least 10 years or more since I've read it! The other interesting bit is that this book really does just take place in a day. With an epilogue the next night, but yeah, one entire day in the lives of Sarah and Aida Vida.

Sarah, once a witch and vampire hunter, is now a vampire herself, turned by Nikolas and Kristopher. Ironically, now the three of them get along rather well. Though Sarah is still getting used to not wanting to kill vampires, she seems to adjust to her new situation rather well. Aida though, has a rougher go of things. Not only is her little sister a vampire, but she's been given orders to kill her by their mother. And it's something she knows she must fulfill at all costs.

I did really enjoy this one, but what I missed was the budding romance between Sarah and Kristopher or as he was at the time Christopher. Yes, it's been sooo long since I last read Shattered Mirror but I enjoy the whole vampire hunter and vampire falling in love. I was a Buffy fan after all! But here it seems there is no longer any romance between the two. I get that Sarah is trying to adjust to a new way of life, but I just felt like she and Kristopher grew distant over the course of the book. If anything, I felt like she was almost growing closer to Nikolas, but then again, there was never anything romantic happening. If fact, this book was without romance entirely. I feel like that's a pretty valid fact. Though there are many different kinds of love evident throughout the story. I guess the fangirl in me was just upset to see Sarah and Kristopher together but so far apart.

Otherwise, All Just Glass was an amazing story! We even got to learn a bit of insight on Dominique, Sarah and Aida's mother who always seemed like a cold-hearted bitch. And she still is, but we get to see more of the reasons behind her bitchiness! This was definitely a novel for the fans of Shattered Mirror in a lot of ways. Though I think new fans can find enjoyment in it as well. I still had hoped for just something "more" to the story. Likely the sparks between Sarah and Kristopher, but all in all, this was an enjoyable read!


Overall Rating 4/5 stars




  

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this series, but I'm glad this one was good!! I hate it when books in a series don't live up to the previous ones. It sounds like this worked for you though! Great review :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!