Oct 26, 2012

ARC Review--Deity by Jennifer Armentrout

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden. 

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...


I received this ARC from the publishers for an honest review, I was in no way compensated for this review


HOLY FREAKING COW! That's what I said upon finishing Jennifer Armentrout's Deity! It was one heck of a thrill ride! Jennifer never ceases to amaze me with what she can do with this series! For awhile I thought I knew what was going to happen and then WHAM! Totally thrown sideways and under! Loved it!

We pick up somewhat where we left off in Pure, Alex has a cold, which should never happen, Seth is a constant bedmate--don't think dirty thoughts! Shame on you!--and yet Alex still can't help but miss Aiden. But the months counting down to her eighteenth birthday are nearing, Seth is excited for her, and Alex is nervous. Plus there's a whole slew of other problems, such as Telly and him wanting her head.

This time around though, we finally get to see some of the gods! I was wondering if we would since they have kind of been on the horizon of appearing, what with Seth near to being a God Killer. And never really knowing if they will be good or not! Well, that gets answered with a surprising shock! And I have to say that I love how Jennifer wrote Artemis, for however brief her appearance was, she was always my favorite goddess and I liked he! She wasn't what I would imagine, but still awesome! Not all the gods and goddesses make appearances though.

The story takes some shocking twists and turns, I will give you that much! My jaw dropped more than once! The ending included, but more on that in a bit! The characters were, as always, wonderful! Alex, ever the quip and witty teen heroine! She reminds me a bit of Rose from Vampire Academy, as I'm sure many of us think of Rose and her Dimitri, just the loose thread of their forbidden love being in a school and whatnot! Still totally different storylines and all!

Aiden, seriously how can we not love him? Sure, he drove me crazy a bit in the first two books, but only because of how he affected Alex. And Seth, he's always befuddled me a bit, but you got admit that the boy has character! And humor!

For awhile I found myself debating over Seth and Aiden. I truly did favor Aiden more, but something about Seth always made me smile! But in the end, Aiden wins my heart!

Of course by the end of the book, my perception of everyone is thrown out the window! Big things are happening! BIG! There's no telling what will happen in the next book really. Although I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much going on with the particular "servant" in New York who spark fierce feelings in Alex. It's mentioned and revealed in Chapter one, yet I won't say anything, although you can probably guess as I likely did when I read Pure! The subject wasn't touched much after that, here and there, but then it dropped. So I suspect it will come back in full force next time!

Now to the ending of epic proportions that elicited my HOLY FREAKING COW--although honestly I didn't say "cow"! The ending was getting very intense and suspenseful! Just as you think things are tying up nicely to a good stopping point, Jennifer throws a curve ball on us! I am going to warn you now that you will be left hanging and shouting something! But still, it was very intense. Big things were brewing and Apolloyn is definitely going to go at the top of my reading list come release! Or reviewing, whichever it may be! So it is definitely one of those endings that leaves you dying for more.

Deity was a trill ride! There's nothing more that can be said to that really. Or there could but then this review will get insanely long! It was a rather fast paced read, although it did take me longer to read due to work and life, but sometimes the best reads needs to be savored! And Deity definitely deserves to be savored!


Overall rating 5/5 stars



Deity releases November 6, 2012









2 comments:

  1. That ending? Just chills! Eeek, I can't wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! The ending is absolutely wicked! I never saw "that" coming. And the gods rocked, though I suspected one of them when I read Pure. HeHe

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!