Oct 26, 2012

Review--Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it.

The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…...


Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life….



Finally read Rachel Vincent's Before I Wake and it was as fabulous as everyone said it was! So as we know by now, Kaylee died in If I Die...which now makes total sense of the the title choice! ;) And now she's a collector of sorts. She is to take back souls that were not scheduled to die from whatever rogue reaper is at work. 

Avari is back, not that the demon ever went far, but he has a new sinister plan and he is intent on harming people and eventually killing all Kaylee's friends and family until she gives him what he wants...her. But Kaylee isn't going to play by his rules anymore, she is determined to fight for her friends and family and keep them safe.

But Kaylee is having a hard time adjusting completely to her new life. Things with Nash are still uneasy since she is still to blame for his being put in jail--for however short and temporary it was. Which I still find to be a little annoying, with Nash. Yes, Kaylee did do all that, but she had a freaking psychopath telling her to do so or else her friends would die! Why didn't Nash understand that? What would he rather her do? Say no and then let Emma die? Along with other girls? I understand Nash being upset, but he really didn't seem to understand the circumstances that Kaylee was under.

There also seems to be a few personal loose ends left as well concerning Nash. Nash and Kaylee were having touch and go moments over their ended relationship. Kaylee's heart is set with Tod, so there doesn't seem to be scares there, Nash is the one who needs help moving on. Sabine even tells Kaylee that she needs to let Nash know it is done. Over. Finito. He needs to accept that and move on, and Sabine would rather it be with her.


Moving onto...Tod! Oh yes! I loooove Tod! I was never really Team Nash to begin with, I always felt like he was using Kaylee or was planning something himself, which was kind of true but then not really true either. I never could figure out how Kaylee and Tod could be together, despite my want for that! Luckily, Rachel solved that problem! Tod is truly the sweetest reaper you will ever meet! Which, you know, if you have to meet a reaper, let it be him! There were several genuine and sweet romantic moments between him and Kaylee that always had my heart fluttering!

There's a new character in the game as well, Luca. We met him in the short novella Never to Sleep. Which was helpful to have read, although at the time I felt like Luca was planning something sinister as well. That he wasn't going to be a trustworthy character for some reason, yet that wasn't the case. He's just Luca. He's a necromancer and as Kaylee learns, is going to help her with her problems. That being trying to reclaim stolen souls and figuring out who's behind the sudden rise of them.

Before I Wake was not without shocking surprises as well. Tragedy continues to strike poor Kaylee in this one! I was very surprised by what Rachel threw at Kaylee and us! The ending was stellar as well! There are a few last minute surprises to keep us reeling til the finale releases in a few short months, but the endgame is only beginning! Kaylee still intends on stopping Avari's sinister plans. I am soooo looking forward to seeing how this one is going to end! The series has been nonstop action and filled with surprises left and right! It only seems fitting that the finale would be the same!


Overall rating 5/5 stars






6 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this one!!! ** wow, 5 stars?? niiice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you loved this book as well! I fell head over heels in love with this one. I too was never a big Nash fan, I just never really trusted him either and I agree that he is really beginning to get annoying with the blaming Kaylee thing! It isn't like she willingly blamed Nash. Tod on the other hand I have loved from the second I met him. He is just an awesome character!

    Awesome review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive read the first two in this series and your review makes me want to catch up. Not to mention my ya would to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read any of these books, but this review makes me want to read them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh* I was Team Nash and I lost some serious respect for Kaylee with how she treated him sometimes. I've been trying to catch reviews to see if I even want to bother reading this book. The last book I felt really let me down and was a bit of a cop out from Rachel *cough* Anyways thanks for the review but it still leaves me on the fence with reading it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds like a page-turner. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!