Oct 15, 2012

ARC Review--The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase's unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he's dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister's world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myths and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My name is Ethan Chase. And I may not live to see my eighteenth birthday.


I received this ARC from the publishers via Netgalley for review, I was in no way compensated for this review.

**Just as a side note, I would recommend reading the first Iron Fey books before this one. Purely just to establish the characters you will meet as some are old beloved ones!


Julie Kagawa returns to the Iron Fey world with this new spinoff series starring Ethan Chase, Meghan's little brother, but Ethan is all grown up! And all I can say is WOW! The Lost Prince puts us some time away from Meghan's last adventure in The Iron Queen, for The Iron Knight was Ash's adventure if you recall.

Ethan has grown into quite the teenager. He can still see the Fey and it has made his life unbearable. He's gotten into more trouble over the years because of them and when he starts a new school in the middle of the semester he suspects it to go just as grand as his past first days at other schools.

He is surprised to find a half-fey at the school, who was in the need of help. That little event pretty much started the trouble for him with the Faery folk. What makes his life more complicated is Kenzie, the girl who is set on being overly friendly and trying to get an interview out of him for the school paper.

Ethan really just wants to live a normal life, Faery free, but it seems that is not going to happen. First the half-fey he rescued goes missing, then Ethan is forced to use a one time only favor token to escape some nasty look Fey that chased him and Kenzie one night after his Kali tournament. What's even weirder is the Fey chasing him, it's a kind he has never seen before and it worries him.

Suddenly he and Kenzie are in the Faery world, guided by Grimalkin on their way to see his long lost sister.

This was truly a wonderful book! I was wondering for the first part of the novel if we would see any of the familiar characters of the Iron Fey Chronicles and I was not disappointed by part 2! Grimalkin returns! I love that cat sith! He's so funny, like a very snark smart ass Chesire Cat! Then we even get to see Puck and Ash again, albeit briefly! But even that brief moment of Puck was worth it! He always makes me laugh! I cheered him on in his moments of glory and then lol'd at his jokes--which were many!

Ethan has a lot to deal with, including another new character! Who starred in the novella, turns out Ethan is an uncle! Wow! Wasn't expecting that, was he? His nephew helps him out of a few hairy hassles, and then the tables turn and Ethan has to help him out.

Kenzie is there the entire time as well, surprising Ethan. She manages to break his tough guy exterior and find the Ethan we know we will all love! She is a burning flame to his icy exterior. We learn that both Ethan and Kenzie have their pasts riddled with tragedies and secrets.

The ending was like most endings in the first of a series, yet since this is a spinoff of an already AWESOME series, this ending has more than a few loose-ends. Ethan and his friends were in probably luke warm water, since the action had ended just before the book did. I will be curious to see what Julie does with this series!

Ethan all grown up is a joy to read! The returning characters made the series more fun as well. We have both familiarity and new in The Lost Prince, making it a stellar read! This series is bound to be just as incredible and spellbinding as its predecessor!


Overall rating 5/5 stars


The Lost Prince releases October 23, 2012






7 comments:

  1. Great review! I just ordered this one this morning. I can hardly wait for it to arrive! I'm looking forward to meeting a grown up Ethan and see what the others have been up to since we last saw them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review!!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment on my FF (sorry for the late response)! I really appreciate it!
    I'm an old follower :)

    J.B. http://jbkantt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gads! I still need to read this series, glad book three is a five and that you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got this from netgalley, too, and hadn't read all the earlier ones - I still really liked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading this one right now, I love all of my favorite characters making their appearances. Great review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I've only read the books before this one but I been meaning to read the Lost Prince since all her other books are so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the cover is so yummy!!! ;-) :-D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!