Mar 16, 2017

Random Thursday

And now we shall return to That's a Fact Jack: A Collection of Utterly Useless Information [Updated] by Harry Bright and Jakob Anser! Impress your friends with these completely random bits of information!

(image borrowed from Wikipedia)
"Under the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, leeches and maggots are categorized as medical devices."

Eww. Just eww! I mean I knew that leeches were used in some medical practices way back when but still...eww!


(image borrowed from Wikipedia)
"The South American paradoxical frog (Pseudis paradoxia) is so called because it gets smaller as it develops. It starts out as a ten-inch tadpole and 'grows up' to become a frog about three inches long."

Interesting! That I never knew!


(image borrowed from PopKey)
"A cockroach's brain is spread throughout its body. If you chop off its head, it can continue to live for up to a week. It finally dies because it can't eat."


So that's how it works. Gross.


(image borrowed from Flickr)
"The emerald cockroach wasp (Ampulex compressa) commandeers a cockroach in order to lay an egg inside the roach's exoskeleton. After delivering precise stings to paralyze the roach, the wasp--too small to carry its victim to a burrow--leads it by its antenna like a dog on a leash."

Nature continues to baffle me!










7 comments:

  1. First of all, thank for you using a Spongebob gif instead of an actual roach picture lol. Second of all, so THAT'S how they're able to live with their heads cuts off?!?? Ugh, roaches are so disgusting. I swear every new thing I learn only makes them even more disgusting. The paradoxical frog is funny though, what a cute name for it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe they use leeches to assist in the prevention of amputation as their saliva stops blood clotting, which is an ongoing issue for diabetes sufferers. And they are starting to research if they can help in cancer prevention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still scarred by leeches from my childhood fishing adventures. I am grossed out that it is still considered "medicine."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewww omg now I'm imagining a bunch of headless cockroaches running around... *shudders* I need some fun Disney facts now to make me forget these creepy ones, haha :D Thanks for sharing!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cockroach thing is really interesting and also really ew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting info. I am not surprised by the leeches and maggots classification but everything else is a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I know roaches twitching around without their heads (Ewww btw) is a thing, but I never knew it was because of their brain. I just assumed it was a nerve thing that was causing that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!