Apr 15, 2013

ARC Review--Chosen at Nightfall by C.C. Hunter

From rising star C.C. Hunter comes the breathtaking final book in the New York Times bestselling Shadow Falls series

When Kylie Galen left Shadow Falls, she thought it was the hardest decision of her life. Heartbroken and separated from everyone she loves, she finally comes to terms with her abilities and what it means to be a chameleon. But as Kylie's journey comes to a close, she must return to the camp that started it all...and she must finally choose between the two boys who love her. The werewolf who broke her heart when he chose his pack over her, and the half-fae who ran from their intense attraction before they ever really had a chance. For Kylie, everything will finally be revealed and nothing will ever be the same.


I received this ARC for an honest review from the publishers, as a part of The Shadow Falls Street Team. I was in no way compensated for this review.


FREAKING AWESOME! That was pretty much what I said once I finished reading C.C. Hunter's final book in the Shadow Falls series, Chosen at Nightfall. It was truly everything I was hoping for and more! Lots more!

Kylie starts off the book with being with her grandfather and great aunt and learning about the chameleon ways. But barely after two weeks, she is told that it is in her best interests to return to Shadow Falls. Mario is back and has already attacked another camper. But when the greeting party includes Burnett and Derek and Lucas, Kylie isn't overly thrilled, but still a little homesick for the camp she considers her second home.

After a little bit of a hassle, she is back at the camp and things are incredibly tense for her. Derek keeps wanting to move forward with Kylie, yet she struggles to work out her feelings for both Derek and Lucas. Lucas broke her heart, shattered it beyond repair, yet she still can't help but have feelings for him. I totally love how Kylie has these inner debates. Her feelings are real, natural and true. When the person you were so sure you loved, breaks your heart but then says that what she saw wasn't real/true, it creates chaos among your feelings and emotions! Kylie felt so real to me by having these inner debates because I would feel the same.

Lucas claims that he still loves her and will give up everything to be with her, that nothing else matters. Only her. Kylie wants to melt with these words and promises, but she feels in her heart that Lucas will one day resent her for it.

There were quite a few scenes past the halfway point between Kylie and Lucas that had me swooning. And had Kylie's feelings going totally haywire. No matter how hard she tried to push Lucas away, he never left. I kind of admired him for that! Although, I still wasn't happy with how he handled things in the last book, but boys can just be stupid sometimes. Even fictional ones apparently!

In between Kylie's battles for figuring out her feelings for the boys, she's been very busy dishing out love advice for nearly everyone else in the camp! Okay, just among her circle of friends and the significant others! It was quite funny too, but of course, who is to help Kylie with her dilemma? She asks this herself and of course, there is no answer.

This one was truly an exciting read! Devoured it in less than two days! About at the halfway point, Kylie lets one of the guys down. Of course the cynical part of me wasn't so sure if that was a final no, so for the last half of the book my stomach was in knots! Of course I won't say how I feel about the ending and who Kylie chose, because I think I've made my choice pretty clear in past reviews. So no mentioning that here!

Moving aside from the romance, the action parts were very good! Lots of mystery surrounding the new ghost that's haunting Kylie. This one was creepy, dressed in a white dress, covered in blood, has a sword and sometimes a severed head! Yeah, who wouldn't scream waking up to that sight? The final battle with Mario was better than I expected! Another character comes into play that I just knew was skeevy! That character's connection to the whole "thing" was way more than I expected, but still truly awesome!

What I loved most about this series was the friendships. The friendships Kylie made were so deep, I just loved them! Miranda and Della were freaking awesome best friends! Perry was a riot! I mean who else would moon the entire camp to take the unwanted attention off you? Kylie was truly blessed with her friendships, including the ones with the adults, like Burnett and Holiday. I can't get over how much I loved these characters and all the relationships!

The Shadow Falls Series is truly remarkable! It's one I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a good Paranormal YA series. There are tons of colorful characters--in many different supernatural entities--that will each touch your heart in their own way! Going to miss this chapter of the series, but am definitely looking forward to Della's series next year.


Overall rating 5/5 stars


Chosen at Nightfall releases April 23, 2013





2 comments:

  1. The action, romance and friendships sound great, I can't wait to read it.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've talked me into it! I'll have to check out this series. TU!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!