Oct 15, 2013

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Here are the rules:
1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.

Making my way through this one rather slowly. I got a head cold, so my head is pounding, my throat is sore. Being sick is just no fun.

"A growl rose in my throat, and my fangs threatened to tear free of my gums. I took a deep, silent breath. I couldn't lose it just yet. I had to be calm. Had to stay in control." p 204

















TITLE: The Queen is Dead
AUTHOR: Kate Locke

PUBLISHER: Orbit
GENRE: Paranormal Steampunk
RELEASE DATE: February 5, 2013



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


This week's topic is: Top Ten Books I Was "Forced" to Read


*in no particular order
1. THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
by Alexandre Dumas

The ONLY book from all my school years that I was forced to read and that I actually enjoyed!! It was so weird enjoying it too. Because I read this in my senior year of high school and I was already so far gone in reading my paranormal books, so loving this one was a surprise!


2. VAMPIRE ACADEMY
by Richelle Mead

So way back in the day, I was on Rachel Vincent's old discussion board, The Pride. I hadn't read YA books in a good amount of years. Then suddenly my friends on the board said I HAD to read this one! That it wasn't like the old YA where the teenagers were overly dramatic about crap. And I was very surprised by how much I LOVED it! This was just before book 4 released and pretty much when Paranormal YA began to come around finally!



3. DARKFEVER 
by Karen Marie Moning

This was a series I started seeing around quite a bit before the 5th book released. I never picked it up before because I thought it was a "romancy" book since that's where it was shelved. I decided to read it since I kept seeing it everywhere and boy was I surprised! Totally LOVED it!



4. INTERTWINED 
by Gena Showalter

Okay, so this one I "had" to read because I ended up winning this contest. I can't even remember from who, but the publishers were the gifters. In it was Julie Kagawa's first two Iron Fey books--ones I was interested in at the time and what prompted me to enter said contest. This series I was leary about because the main character was a guy and I wasn't used to that. And oh my, did I LOOOOVE this series! When's book 4 gonna be released?!


5. TIGER'S CURSE
by Colleen Houck

This was another series lots of bloggers were gushing over at some point. Then when I went to RT in 2012 it was offered as a free book on a table, so I thought, why not? I ended up liking it quite a bit! Curious to see what book 5 will be like!



6. SHADOW BOUND
by Erin Kellison

Another series I "had" to read. I was curious about this one. It sounded interesting with the dark fairy tale vibe I was getting. Then I was lucky to win the first two books in a contest and it pretty much sold the deal after reading the first one!



7. STRAY
by Rachel Vincent

This one I had been skeptical about. It was shelved in the romance section and in my early days, I thought if it was in the romance section, it meant there would be more romance than story. As that had been the case with a few reads I picked up from this section. But then I saw the praising quotes come Kim Harrison and Kelley Armstrong on the cover and thought I might as well give it a try since the story did sound pretty good too! And yeah, LOVED it and the series too!


8. FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT
by Darynda Jones

Okay, when I first saw this cover, I thought it would be something romancy and too chick lit like. But after reading like 1 or 2 reviews I went out and bought it! Then like the next weekend I bought the second! And then the third in the coming month!! So yeah, definitely learned not to always believe a cover with this one!


NOT YET READ


9. DEAD GIRLS ARE EASY
by Terri Garey

Okay, technically I haven't read this one YET! But I did read an awesome review of it which led me to buy the series as it stands so far! It was during the Borders closing sales--sob!--and I ended up buying them all since they were cheap. But I definitely have the feeling I will like them!


NOT QUITE LOVED


10. CINDER
by Marissa Meyer

This one was getting a LOT of buzz and since I love fairy tale retellings I thought I would check it out. Sadly it wasn't one for me, but it was still an okay read.






26 comments:

  1. wow, that's a great teaser! I've always been intrigued by this series, is it any good?
    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great teaser, I didn't know about this series but I'll have to check it out!
    Thanks for stopping by my TT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had Stray on my list too. Great list. Awesome Teaser. I have this one book to read on my fall list. hoping to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice teaser! It's difficult to keep calm during crazy situations...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tease! And I love that VA and Stray are on your list! Love both of those!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list, lots of titles that I haven't read yet even though so many people have told me I absolutely have to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice teaser. I wonder what has her rattled
    Here's mine
    http://lovebitessilkties.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/teasertuesday-power-play-resistance-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm actually trying to read Dumas right now, though it's The Man in the Iron Mask, not Monte Cristo. I'm really liking it, though I have to keep setting it aside for deadlines. I'm determined to get through it by the end of the year, though. :D Great list, and great teaser.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you're starting to get over your cold. I loved your Teaser, but I'm not sure about this book. On the cover: are those gloves or is it blood?
    My Teaser today is from KEEPSAKE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your top ten list -- that title, "Dead Girls Are Easy" is hilariously wrong on so many levels. Here's my first Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I've heard so many bloggers talk about the Vampire Academy books that I always want to pick up a copy. But then I'm hesitant because I'm not sure how much I want to read about vampires after the Twilight craze. But knowing myself, I'll probably pick up a copy eventually! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice teaser! I've read a few of the books you were "forced" to read - loved them! I have to say though that I never actually finished Cinder; just couldn't get into it.
    My TT .

    Zareena @ Books and Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen this one around, haven't read it, but love the cover. Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

    Heres mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sad that you didn't like Cinder but YAY for loving Vampire Academy. I think the characterization is really what puts it ahead of a lot of paranormal ya. The characters are so mature and snarky and just...real. Great list!

    Mary @ Mary Had a Little Book Blog
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an amazing list! I'm surprised that you don't have as much classics.
    Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    http://spicedlatte.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the teaser! Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, what a teaser Jessica! What happens before and after that? Can she keep her cool?

    Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww no sorry to hear about Cinder! I loved it but we're all different :).
    Great list hun!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very interesting list this week. Cinder was sort of, meh, for me as well. I think I have a Kate Locke book around my house somewhere, this teaser makes me want to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great teaser & list as always!!!


    <3
    Thanks for stopping by today!!!

    XO
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  21. I keep postponing The Count of Montecristo, too looong. Although, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed soon, hum, I just might read it then

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh man! I need to get to the first book of this series. It's on my Nook waiting for me. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice tease!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the tease... All about control! Nice top 10 too girl.

    Thanx for visiting my TT
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really enjoyed Dead Girls are Easy. It's a fairly fluffy quick read but it did leave me with a smile. Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm liking the cover of the book from your teaser.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!