Dec 28, 2013

2013 End of the Year Survey



1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist) 

Hmm...so many to choose from but I think I might say Taste of Darkness by Maria V. Snyder, because I LOVE her books and this was a fabulous end to the trilogy!


2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? 

That would be Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I finally read that this year, though not published this year, but it wasn't at all what I was hoping it to be.


3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

I think that would be A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest. I bought it awhile back and finally read it in November. It was actually quite good and I was just blown away! Quite a few ebooks did that to me during that month!


4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013? 

Hmm...possibly Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson. That was one that really surprised me as well, in its awesomeness. It has a nice kind of fairy tale, yet not vibe and I loved it!



5. Best series you discovered in 2013? 

That is likely Alyssa Rose Ivy's Crescent Chronicles. I read a review of the first one, then won it. And when I finally got around to reading it, I was so intrigued with the story! Finally a New Adult series with a paranormal twist!


6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013? 

I guess we could say Alyssa Rose Ivy! She was really awesome and I enjoyed reading the new series that is a spinoff of the Crescent Chronicles!


7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you? 

That's sort of tough. I don't think I really read outside my comfort zone, which is basically anything paranormal! Any amount of paranormal will do! But I guess we could say J. Lynn's Unchained. It was a New Adult series and I wasn't sure what to expect from it being New Adult and how a lot of those lately seem to be more about sex than anything paranormal. Luckily, this one wasn't in that category! It was a total paranormal story!


8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013? 

That definitely might have been Allegiant by Veronica Roth or even Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter. Two amazing YA series, one the finale and the other book 2! They were just well paced reads that I didn't want to put down!


9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? 

Well, sadly, I don't have much time for re-reads. There are too many books in the TBR mountain to do such things. But if I could, I might re-read Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout, because there is just never enough Daemon! 


10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013? 

Speaking of...


 


11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Think I have to say Daemon! Read three Lux books this year and still can't get him out of my head. I so wish I was 17 again...you know so crushing on Daemon isn't creepy. ;) But to make it not creepy another character was Reyes from Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series.


12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013? 

That would probably be Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson. It was sort of a fairy tale retelling and I thought it was just remarkable! 


13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

I guess that would be Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Seriously, that one haunted me for days!


14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Why did I read so many books?! That would likely be Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy! 


15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013? 

Uh...yeah...I can't remember those. Sorry. Those are definitely spur of the moment kind of things that impact me when I read them. I don't write them down like I should. I am sure there were some good ones in Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost and any of the Lux books 2-4 that I read by Jennifer L. Armentrout!


16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013? 

Not sure about shortest, there were quite a few novellas that I read that tend to run under 100. Looked on goodreads and can't find "shortest book read", found the longest which was: 
The longest I read was Angel Fire by L.A. Weatherly (636 pages)


17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers! 

Definitely Allegiant by Veronica Roth, because OOOOOOMG, that ending!
 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc). 

So many! Hmm...I guess I'll go with Avry and Kerrick from Maria V. Snyder's Taste of Darkness. There were some intense moments where I feared for them and definitely some more tender ones too! 


19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously 

Oh crud...how about like 85-90% of the books I read? There were a lot of books I read by previous fave authors! If I have to pick then let's go with Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost, because I love her vampires and Vlad rocks!


20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else: 

I guess that was one I read recently...which was Captivate by Vanessa Garden. I read a review and it sounded pretty awesome so I requested it on Netgalley, got it, read it and really enjoyed it! 


21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013? 

Haha! Urban Fantasy! Tougher question is, what genre other than UF did I read? I love my paranormal books and there's a lot of them that I read! Of course they all have varying degrees of paranormal. Some don't have it even. Those are my few dystopians I read and fairy tale retellings or fairy tale "like" books. 


22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013? 

 I guess we could say that might be Levi from Alyssa Rose Ivy's Crescent Chronicles! He really warmed up to me and I loved his personality!


23. Best 2013 debut you read? 

I think we could say The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan was one! I really enjoyed reading that one! Gargoyles! Finally! She was a debut author and I'm already a fan!

Although I do want to add one other, because it warrants mentioning...Marianne Curley's Hidden was awesome! This was her come-back debut as she was out of the writing world for a few years due to illness, but she's all better now and writing again! I was beyond ecstatic to see this one out earlier this year! 


24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013? 

Hmm...I think I have to go back to Maria V. Snyder again and use her book from the year, Taste of Darkness! She writes about these magical worlds--literally--and they always blow me away! It's how I get so swept up into them and want no disruptions whenever I am reading a book by her! Especially next winter when she returns to her original characters!


25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013? 

I guess I would say Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout, because any book with Daemon in it, is fun! That being said, Jennifer's other books that released this year, Obsession and Unchained were also incredible reads! I love her heroes. They can come off as a-holes at times, but they all have good hearts! Just takes the heroine to knock some sense into them! 


26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013? 

Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I did not see that ending coming! And another was Undead to the World by DD Barant. There was another mini-happenstance of a sidekick character that tore at my heart and I was bawling! This really didn't have a huge impact to the story and there was a somewhat lighter side to it, but I was still bawling! 


27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out? 

I am thinking maybe Angelfall by Susan Ee. When I first bought the ebook I thought, sure someday I'll read it. Then, hee hee, I bought it again in paperback format when it was super cheap and then actually read it this year and I was so blown away! I don't know why I think it got overlooked. Perhaps seeing it as another "angel" book. But that can be said with any book based on its creature category. But yeah, definitely LOVED that one!! Bring on book 3 which has yet to be titled! 




2 comments:

  1. OH NO! Allegiant made you cry?? Now I am nervous about reading it! I just got it from the library and am excited about getting started. I have seen such mixed reviews on it. Here is my best of list: http://angelasanxiouslife.blogspot.com/2013/12/2013-end-of-year-book-survey.html

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such mixed reviews of Allegiant - some glowing and some really dire. I'm a bit nervous of reading it since I loved the earlier books so much...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!