Dec 3, 2013

Review--Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout

It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.



I've finally read Jennifer L. Armentrout's Sentinel, the conclusion to the Covenant series and what was one of my first ARC series! And since no ARCs of this one went to print, it's been a very long wait indeed! Based on the reviews I've been reading for this one, I was expecting the worst--emotionally wise. And while there was definitely a lot of emotions pulling me left and right, it wasn't as bad I as I thought--emotion wise.

Trying to get back into the swing of things was pretty hard. My memory of what went down previously was once again, pretty poor, but luckily Jennifer recaps the important bits and I was able to move along pretty smoothly all things considered.

Ares is Public Enemy number one. The god that needs to be stopped, asap. But Alex and her friends are just not enough to stop him. As Alex knows full well, Ares is one powerful S.O.B. It's not long before help arrives in an unexpected way, and that is Seth. I feel like this isn't a spoiler, for I've read reviews that mention Seth is on the scene, so Seth is back and he's joining Alex's team. But yet, Apollo still says they need more. And that's when an idea forms, they need another powerful deity who specializes in war. They need the Titan, Perses.

I love how Jennifer threads in Greek mythology in this one. We've had the Gods and Goddesses and now we're adding in a Titan! It was so amazingly epic that I never wanted the story to end. And sadly, it does end. Truly and completely as we all know.

There was a good deal of action in this one. It's battle after battle, quest after quest and a good dose of other mundane problems thrown into the mix. Although, when I say mundane, I mean the slightly less important to saving the world but still very important to the characters themselves. There's never a dull moment in this one!

The romance between Aiden and Alex remains to be a heart touching one. I can't decide if I like them better than Katy and Daemon. Probably more so Daemon, because let's face it, he's Daemon! Aiden is definitely the opposite of Daemon. Aiden is the sweet, kind boyfriend every girl wants, and that's all good too! There's still enough going on to cause friction between him and Alex as well. So it's not like it's all sunshine and rainbows. The end is near in this one! Plus with Seth there throwing out random innuendos is enough to cause trouble in paradise!

Sentinel had everything I could want from a series finale. Of course, knowing that Seth gets his own series in 2015 let me knew what his fate would be. So that was one thing off my worried conscience! But of course there's still the whole remaining cast of characters to fret over. And there were deaths, won't lie about that. But in the end, I did like how Jennifer wrapped things up. And I think what she says in her acknowledgements is the absolute truth: "stories never really, truly end". And that is the truth. Even if another spinoff or novella never exists these stories will keep going on in my head--amid thousands of others--and keep me wondering what they are doing with their happy or no so happy ever afters.


Overall Rating 5/5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!