Dec 24, 2013

Graphic Novel Review--Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick & Ill. by Jennyson Rosero

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She''s never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora''s not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can''t decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life! 

This title also contains an exclusive, original story written especially for this book by the author. This bonus story tells what happens to the characters between Book 1 and Book 2 of this series and will only be available in this book.


So I've finally cracked open Hush, Hush: the Graphic Novel by Becca Fitzpatrick and illustrated by Jennyson Rosero. What I didn't quite know upon reading this is that it's volume 1, meaning that the story is far from over by the time the graphic novel is over. And the worst part? We're now one year later from its release and there's no word of a continuance. Even though I know the story, I would've liked to seen it finished.

It's been years since I last read the book Hush, Hush, so reading this has been nice! It's like a quick version of the novel, but since it's been too long since I read the book, I can't quite place where the graphic novel ended. If it was the middle or almost middle...can't say. 

I definitely loved the cover for this one. Patch looks freaking awesome! The black feathers flying everywhere, the sparks! Totally awesome! The illustrations inside were nice too. All illustrators design things differently than I imagine the characters looking, same goes with movies. For instance, I didn't like the fact that Vee is considered fat when she looks really normal. But then when you look at all the other female characters in the book, they are thin and super skinny. So I don't know, it was kind of discouraging I think for young girls because we all know weight is always an issue there. Won't get further into self-images and all that jazz, so no worries!

Patch didn't quite look like how I imagined either. But again, it's been years since I read this one. So I guess for an illustration, he's not too bad! Other things that tended to nag at me were some of the facial expressions. At times, I thought the characters, mainly Nora, wore the wrong expression for whatever it was she just said. Like she would look sad after answering something from Patch and then the next scene she's frowning. I just thought that looked a little off. And then a few frames were repeated illustration-wise, but all things considered, that's not that big of deal!

I really hope that this one continues, but it seems a few graphic novel book series aren't doing so well, I'd say this and The Dark Swan comics, because there hasn't been anymore since they both released. It's kind of a letdown, I mean yeah we know the stories by heart, but I still want to see them! 

The bonus story was interesting. Sadly, it too gets cutoff and we're left wondering what will happen. I didn't quite know that it took place between books 1 and 2 and was trying to figure that out as I was reading, then I glimpse in the Goodreads description and get my answer after I finished it. Yay Goodreads! But as I said, that too ended with no resolution. I figured it meant that with each graphic novel story we would get another few chapters, but since that's not looking likely, now I won't even know how this predicament got resolved! 

Despite those few hangups, I did enjoy the graphic novel! It was a very fast read too. Faster than I had expected and I was stuck somewhere without another read available! Eep! I guess I would recommend reading this one if you were a fan of Hush, Hush. Although, it's a tough call only because I am not sure if there's going to be another installment. It's hard to push people to read a series that might not continue, but hey if we all keep buying and reading it, maybe sales will go up and the second installment will appear! I've seen it happen! Although that was a 6 year gap. Eep! (again!)


Overall Rating 4/5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!