Apr 22, 2014

Review--Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend.

Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash.

But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?


I wasn't expecting for Don't Look Back to become a one-day read, but there was no way I couldn't not finish it yesterday! Jennifer L. Armentrout is freaking amazing!! She does it all, YA, NA, Adult...contemporary, paranormal and now mystery suspense! This woman is truly genius!! Don't Look Back was a very promising read and despite it being contemporary, I was deeply intrigued by the mystery! And oh wow, was that mystery part good! 

Sam was your typical mean girl, an all-around bitch, but then something happened. She and her best friend, Cassie, went missing and only Sam turned up. And she has no idea who she is. Granted she has some basic memory skills, such as the year and remedial things like talking and what not. But as to her identity, there's nothing.

The characters to this story were awesome! Scott, Sam's twin brother was awesome. He's a nice guy and takes Sam's new personality in stride. Carson was another interesting surprise. I totally fell for him early on. The way he warmed back up to Sam was endearing. As for Sam's friends and boyfriend, I have the complete opposite feelings. They are the picture of mean girls and jerky boyfriend.

Sam's memory is basically lost and it has to be rebuilt. And all the while, Cassie's murder is still a mystery. Sam struggles to remember what happened to her in the days she was gone. She does get bits and pieces of memory back. It happens in flashes and dreams. Creepy yet, are the notes she's getting that leave her clues or warnings of some kind and she thinks they are linked to Cassie's death. 

I am struggling to write this review without getting too lengthy or reveal too much, but it's soooo hard when the book was soooo good! I wasn't expecting this thrilling of a mystery when I decided to pick it up. And the bits of Sam's dreams and her seeing things is almost supernatural in a way. Is it Cassie's ghost haunting her? I didn't know and I was desperate to find out. And as I said, I wasn't expecting our who-done-it murderer. It came as a complete shock! And the details behind it all even more shocking! But I loved it! I love when I can be taken by surprise so well!

And don't think this is all mystery, there's some romance going on too! For Sam and Carson grow closer for a second time. I loved it! It was a sweet build up too, nothing insta about it! And Sam's character development was also enjoyable. To see the once cruel mean girl turn into a different person was remarkable. I enjoyed that part as well!

Don't Look Back  is yet another addition to the fabulous Jennifer L. Armentrout's compendium of novels! She is a truly remarkable author and I cannot wait to read what else she cooks up! 


Overall Rating 5/5 stars


 

3 comments:

  1. This one is a hard one to review without spoilers but I did love the read and how she did everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize this was such a mystery thriller either. Ooohhh but I love memory loss books! It's a weird thing I enjoy. Very much looking forward to this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed this. I have had it on Netgalley for a while to read. Silly me hasn't read it yet. I do love me some Jennifer L Armentrout.

    Mich

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!