Apr 26, 2014

Review--Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 3 by Gail Carriger & Ill. by Rem

Condemned by society and her werewolf husband due to a pregnancy she cannot explain, Alexia Maccon--preternatural, tea afficiando--seeks an explanation for this "infant inconvenience" so as to cleanse her sullied reputation and prove her fool of a husband wrong. Preternaturals are a rare breed and the only history of their kind lies in Italy with the Templars, a group that once partnered with preternaturals to hunt down werewolves and vampires. Will Alexia find an explanation for her impossible offspring? Or do the Templars have other plans for the curious "Soulless One"?





While I am sad to see this graphic novel series end, I am glad it ended well. Gail Carriger's Soulless: The Manga Vol. 3 concludes the Parasol Protectorate graphic novel series. And with this third one, it does end well. You get the feeling that the characters will be well off--even if you've read the book series, you already know what's going to happen anyway.

Once again the amazing Rem goes above and beyond to drawing the characters in this series. I have loved Rem's drawings from the very first book in this series. Alexia just has a great quality to her and Rem really shows us reader that!


Like the novel it's based on, this graphic novel tells the same story, but condenses it! It was done very well too. There were moments that I could easily remember and yet since so much time has gone by since I read the actual book, I was still taken by surprise with a few things!


There's Conall's anger with Alexia over her pregnancy and how he gets a little too hotheaded. Alexia then goes off with Madame LeFoux to find out what exactly she's pregnant with since this should have been an impossible feat!


As always I enjoy the few colored pages we get as well. This time there are a few in the middle too! The colors are just so vibrant and stunning, and the fact that there's only a few, make these few pages extra special and enjoyable!


And there's still some romance going on between Alexia and Conall as well all know. And even seeing those pages were remarkable. They aren't cheesy or anything. And I got a chuckle out of one censored moment too!


This graphic novel trilogy is not one to be missed by any and all fans of the Parasol Protectorate series. It has been a delight to read and as sad as I am to see it end, I thought the the lovely team of Gail and Rem did it very well indeed!



Overall Rating 5/5 stars





1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you reviewed this, I've only read Soulless the book, but I've always been very curious about the manga based on the series. I don't think I've ever read any graphic novel/comic/manga adaptations of my novels, this was one I was interested to know how well it worked, and I'm glad it did for you!

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!