May 29, 2014

Follow Friday

This is a weekly blog meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Here are the general rules to Follow Friday:
1. Follow the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts and any one else you want to follow on the list
2. Follow our Featured Bloggers
3. Put your Blog name & URL in the Linky thing.
4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments
5. Follow Follow Follow as many as you can
6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the Love...and the followers
7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
8. If your new to the follow Friday hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!

This week's question is: How important is good writing to you? In an ideal world, a book would be beautifully written AND have great character development, plot, etc. But in the real world, which do you prefer: (1) Great characters and plot with lousy writing or (2) Middling character development and plot but gorgeous writing?

MY ANSWER: Ooh that's a true toughie! Let's ponder this for a moment...I think the characters, plot, and world-building, etc. would have to be the best! If I can't get into the storyline or characters or understand the world...I'm not going to enjoy what I read. It can be beautifully written, but I won't like it. The elements to the story are what draw me in. The writing can be so-so or whatever, but I'd still love it! 

This is where some self-published or even small press reads come in! I totally enjoy the storylines and characters and all that jazz. Maybe the writing isn't quite up to NYC standards, but it's still pretty darn good! I've given lots of 4 and 5 star ratings to reads like that!

So yes, characters, plot, world-building, etc are more important to me!




12 comments:

  1. This is a tough question! But yeah I completely agree that plot, character are more interesting and important rather than the writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose that too! If the plot is amazing then the writing doesn't matter (that much) anymore.
    New GFC and Bloglovin' follower here! :)

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to have likable, I have to relate to the characters and a good story line. The writing has to be good enough that I find it interesting to read or it just won't work..sort of like the book I am trying to read right now..ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Characters are more important, but repetition drains me out. Makes the reading time double :/
    Old follower
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Characters and plot are more important to me, too. If I don't connect or like the story, then no amount of beautiful writing will make me like the book =)

    Old follower. Have a great weekend!
    My F&FF

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose writing over character/plot, so many promising stories have been ruined for me by poor writing. As you rightly said though, some books can be beautifully written and I still can't get into them. I think it's different for every book with me!
    New Follower! Have a great weekend :)
    My F&F

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chose writing over mediocre character and plot development. Poor writing is just a major turn off for me. It annoys me to no end.

    New follower!

    My FF: http://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/feature-follow-friday/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! New follower here. I love this Friday's topic. Agree with all the way - bad writing just usually ends up in my DNF pile.

    Vanessa @ Bluest Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I couldn't agree more. (I should have articulated my answer the way you did).

    Old GFC & bloglovin follower. My ff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a very tough call as neither option is ideal at all, thanks for stopping by my blog xx

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would prefer better plot and character development, because then I feel like the story would leave a deeper impact on me.

    New follower

    Meredith @ A Book Lover's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully said! I agree - the elements of a story draw me in, and even if the story was written flawlessly, if I don't care about the characters or plot, then it doesn't matter in the end. Old follower. Thanks for stopping by my My FF @ Donnie Darko Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!