May 6, 2014

Review--Boundless by Cynthia Hand

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.


I've FINALLY read Cynthia Hand's Boundless! Having read the first two as ARCs and there being no ARC on Netgalley for this one, it took me awhile to get to it! Thankfully the Recaptains have reviewed these already in their recapping format and I was able to get the gist of what went down previously! 

Clara is starting her freshman year at Standford with Angela and Christian. She's doing her best to move forward with her life after everything that's happened. She still has no idea where her brother's at and worries over him and she even still thinks of Tucker, the boy she had to leave behind in order to keep him safe.

For awhile, the book just kind of moves through the motions of college life. Then Angela starts getting visions of her purpose. She's not sure what it will mean in the long run, but she soon focuses on it endlessly and even becomes consumed by it and another issue entirely. Clara and Christian share visions of their own, but there's is one predicting doom and gloom. As always, these visions are tough to understand at first, even for the reader. But eventually they all become clear and it's well before the end of the novel!

I was wondering if this book was going to have Tucker in it at all. I loved Tucker pretty much right off the bat. Sure, he was annoying and kind of an ass at times in the first book, but still, gotta love that cowboy! And sure enough, he's still there in the story, like actually there when Clara keeps winding up at his barn when practicing her powers.

What I enjoy about these books is that there always seems to be a purpose for things (no pun intended, I swear!). I mean, a character will do something and we won't quite understand it until later on. That kind of purpose! Things always come together in the end and I love that!

As far as romance goes, Clara and Christian do seem to be taking a go at having a relationship. Can't say I was totally for it. Christian's not a bad guy, I was just already won over by Tucker by the time he got his act together. I do have to say that there were times when I felt for the guy. He's pining for Clara, yet she still pines for Tucker. And since they have the whole mind reading connection down pat, he knows when she thinks of him--and it's usually when they were together.

The pacing to this one is about the same as its predecessors. It moves along nicely, yet it reads a lot like a contemp novel at times. It's not until a vision happens or what the vision was about takes place that things get moving at a more exciting pace, only to slow back down again. It's definitely a roller-coaster of a read with the ups and downs! But I have to say that I truly loved the ending! Although there was one or two characters I was left wondering about. As we don't see them at the end or get word of their fate. So it just had me wondering, what's up with them!

On a side note, there was a novella, Radiant, that takes place before this one. I never got a chance to buy/read it, but I could tell what events took place there that were woven into this story. It was pretty obvious and yet, I didn't feel totally lost at having missed Clara and Angela's summer adventure. 

Cynthia Hand's Unearthly trilogy has been quite an interesting ride! It definitely puts a different twist to the angel stories! No two books are ever the same, even when they share the same creatures! That's my theory and it's proven correct with every book I read! I look forward to seeing what she concocts next for us readers!


Overall Rating 4/5 stars





4 comments:

  1. I really need to finally read this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first two books ages ago - this reminded me to finish this series! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider Silk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have the first two books sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. :) I'm glad you enjoyed this installment, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for telling me about the Recaptains!! I totally need to check that out because there are times that I wait so long in between books and wish that I could just find a recap somewhere!

    This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!