May 30, 2014

New Cover Look--Arcana Chronicles

So I noticed that Kresley Cole's Arcana Chronicles will have an entirely new look for the release of the last book Dead of Winter.

Firstly, it gets kind of annoying when the covers change right at the end or even right at the beginning and don't even get me started on the middle! Now I KNOW this has nothing to do with the author and that it's more a publisher thing. For sales likely, or something else entirely! I don't know! I would love to know though!

The covers are...different. Now don't get me wrong, they're nice, but I liked the old ones better! Even when I thought the characters didn't quite look YA-enough, more like adults. Maybe that plays a role in it. But pretty much after I read Poison Princess I loved the cover better for understanding it! And Endless Knight! Wow!

Here's what the first two used to look like:

Aren't they awesome? The guy on the second--won't say who it is in case you haven't read it yet, kind of reminds me a bit of James Marsters in his iconic role of Spike. Granted this guy doesn't have James's chiseled cheekbones, but it's a pretty good likeness!

Now here are the new covers:

They just aren't very...eyecatching. You know? The colors are nice, the font's good...but where's the lure? I don't feel very drawn into the story because there's not much to see. These books are kind of a post-apocalypse setting and you can kind of see that with the settings on the covers, there's a lack of...anything.

So now it's really going to make my own collection of these look weird because I have the hardcover of the original Poison Princess, a mass market paperback of the old Endless Knight and then there'll be the hardcover of Dead of Winter with the new look! And the first two are signed! Guess I should've bought the hardcover of Endless Knight at RT, that way at least they'd all be hardcovers, but it can be tiring to constantly buy the same book in different formats. I've done it before, but yeah...it's tiring and costly.




13 comments:

  1. I haaaaaaate the new covers! So much! They are so blah and do nothing for me. The original covers make me go 'ooooh, pretty cover! I want to read the book, I don't even care what it's about!' the new covers make me go 'boring, not interested!'

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like the new covers more because I'm not a huge fan of real life models on covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me those look like adult romance covers, like old romance covers. Haha. It's weird b/c it's YA and most YA look like how the old covers are. Not a huge fan of them. Though I rarely ever am when they do new covers b/c usually the new covers look worse than the old in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the new covers, the colors are really nice! The old covers are wonderful, maybe a little bit prettier indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait I knew that they had made new covers. I didn't know that they were not going to re-create a third cover to match the original two covers. This is so not okay :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO! THIS IS NOT HAPPENING! Those two covers (the originals) are two of my ALL TIME favorite covers. This. Is. Not. Happening.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hate it when they change cover styles midway too but changing spine styles is a capital offence as it messes up my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like the new covers, since they're just much more ... natural. I guess that was the whole point of the cover change, to make them more impersonal and not have the random characters on the cover, and personally, I totally approve of them. And yeah, while the original covers might have been beautiful, I think these aren't so bad either. There are definitely worse cover changes. :D Luckily though, I waited with ordering these, so now I can get them in matching cover editions. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them both, Jessica :) I guess they want to get more readers and neutral covers are the way to go. I have Poison Princess on kindle, so it doesn't matter to me which cover is on it. I still haven't read it though. You are right, he does look like Spike :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why change such beautiful covers?? I hate that. I know it makes more sales but screw that. The originals were great. He does look like Spike, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really care for the new cover, the first ones were just gorgeous. I've gotten to where I wait to buy the books until the series is done, because it seems like the covers get changed all the time, and the OCD in me, I can't have unmatching covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I prefer the original covers! I think the Across the Universe series did a similar cover change mid-series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!