Apr 9, 2015

Follow Friday

This is a weekly blog meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Here are the general rules to Follow Friday:

1. Follow the Follow My Book Blog Friday Hosts and any one else you want to follow on the list  
2. Follow our Featured Bloggers
3. Put your Blog name & URL in the Linky thing.
4. Grab the button up there and place it in a post, this post is for people to find a place to say hi in your comments
5. Follow Follow Follow as many as you can
6. If someone comments and says they are following you, be a dear and follow back. Spread the Love...and the followers
7. If you want to show the link list, just follow the link below the entries and copy and paste it within your post!
8. If your new to the follow Friday hop, comment and let me know, so I can stop by and check out your blog!


This week's question is: Have you ever read a book you thought you'd hate but loved? Or vice versa? - Suggested by a GREAT read



MY ANSWER: Ooooh another one of mine!! Yay!!! There were a few books I thought I wouldn't "like" but ended up loving! One was the YA book that brought me back to YA and that was Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead!

So I probably started this series in 2008 or 2009, just before Blood Promise came out. I binged those first 3 books. It was the book that brought me back to YA! Prior to that I was growing tired of all the contemporary books, because I had exhausted the sources of Paranormal titles. Then my friends at the long ago Pride discussion board told me to read this one, it was not a teen drama with all the angst of normalcy, though I'd say we get a little bit of teen angst, but it's with a paranormal twist! Totally LOVED this one and I admit I was hesitant!

I've had quite a few other books I thought I would hate or not like, I ended up really liking most of them. There have been some I thought I would LOVE, but only ended up liking. So can't say I hated those.

There was one book that I was oh so sure I would love though! I had read a book by the author before, so I felt positive that I would love this one! It had a blend of paranormal (at least I thought it did), a mystery and it just sounded soooo good. Sadly it was not.

The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson was one that I ended up loathing. Thank goodness I was able to review it and not wasted money on it. The mystery was only so so, and it didn't even really get solved fully. I felt like the romance was a sham and the paranormal element was nonexistent. It was just the most disappointing read for me. But I still adored the author's Tiger Lily! And will look for more YA titles from her should they be more paranormal vs contemporary.






 

18 comments:

  1. Lol! I totally get it about the Vampire Academy series. I didn't know if I'd like them because, let's be honest, those covers just aren't that pretty! I'm so glad I read them, though, because it's now one of my favorite series! (:

    Old follower!


    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! I can tell you about The Vanished Ones (Mila Vasquez #2) by Donato Carrisi I thought that this book is historical, but when I start to read it I learn that it's thriller, good one- shakes my world! :)
    My FF:
    Silvy@Books are my life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to finish the Vampire Academy series! I really want to start Bloodlines soon after I finish it! Old follower!

    Lizzie @ lizziethesarcasticblonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read both books, and I hope to get to VA sometime this year, but I'm not sure... The Vanishing Girls I've given up on for now because I've read too many bad or meh reviews for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started Vampire Academy but didn't make it through the first book. I'll return to it someday! I think it's so interesting that people read things they don't think they'll like. Maybe it's just because I am a mood reader so I will never read something I don't expect to enjoy. I'm glad you found things you loved though!

    Here's my F&F!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on having your question picked. I haven’t read The Vampire Academy books, but I have heard a lot of great things about them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine was Cinder. I put it off for ages, thinking it would really be a bad fit for me, until finally I read it ... and I ended up binging on the series :) I can't wait for the next book. I have also repeatedly bashed my head against walls for waiting so long to read such a good series. The bruises have faded ... mostly :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried VA and never finished it..I have been told I should try again as the other books in the series are better if I get through the first one..so maybe some day..lol.

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard that Vampire Academy is great. I haven't read it and honestly I'm not sure I will with the crazy TBR. But I'm glad you loved it.

    I didn't do a FFF but if I had, I would have said A Discovery of WItches by Deborah Harkness. I really thought I would love that book but I ended up hating it. Although it did inspire me to restart blogging so it wasn't a total fail.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the VA book, but not the GN. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree with both of your books for exactly the same reasons as you. Vampire Academy is an incredibly fun and fabulous read where The Vanishing Season, or The Moment Collector as it was called here in the UK, was thoroughly disappointing when on paper it should have be great.

    My FFF  - Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and I have something in common. I only read Adult fiction until I found Vampire Academy. That series is what introduced me to YA, which I now read almost exclusively, and it's why I now have a YA blog to this day! Gotta thank Richelle Mead for that.

    Old follower.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was the same way with the Vampire Academy. I ended up loving it too! Thank you for stopping by. :)
    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read VA series yet *hangs head in shame* I did read Vanishing Season and did not like it, sadly I felt much the same as you :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never read Vampire Academy!! I have the first book, though! I feel like no vampire series can ever live up to the Sookie Stackhouse series for me! haha

    Old Follower :)
    novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so tickled to see another rave review of Vampire Academy! It's still on my TBR list and I'm excited to read it! New follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I followed via GFC! I love your blog! I haven't read the VA series yet sadly but I'm going to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Vampire Academy as well! Its just amazing!

    Old follower!

    Betsy @ I Sold My Soul For Books

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!