Aug 22, 2012

Review--Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter

Step into Shadow Falls, a camp for teens with supernatural powers. Here friendship thrives, love takes you by surprise, and our hearts possess the greatest magic of all.

Kylie Galen wants the truth so badly she can taste it. The truth about who her real family is, the truth about which boy she’s meant to be with—and the truth about what her emerging powers mean. But she’s about to discover that some secrets can change your life forever…and not always for the better.

Just when she and Lucas are finally getting close, she learns that his pack has forbidden them from being together. Was it a mistake to pick him over Derek? And it’s not just romance troubling Kylie. An amnesia-stricken ghost is haunting her, delivering the frightful warning,
someone lives and someone dies. As Kylie races to unravel the mystery and protect those she loves, she finally unlocks the truth about her supernatural identity, which is far different—and more astonishing—than she ever imagined.


Finally read Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter and it was fabulous! It's been soooo long since I read Awake at Dawn since I read that as an ARC, but with helpful snippets of recap, I was able to get the gist of the last book remembered!

Taken at Dusk was truly fabulous! Kiley is excited about being at the Camp when it turns into a school during the non summer months, and is happy. She has a great boyfriend--Lucas, who I truly adore! Great friends, an awesome camp leader. But Kiley's world is still recovering from a recent shaking. She was kidnapped by a somewhat psychotic vamp who was in love with her, whose grandfather wanted to kill her. Her ghost father shows up. Derek left. Things were just chaotic.

And they still kind of are. First Kiley is trying to meet her father's adoptive parents, when she meets them, she gets an odd feeling. But that's only the beginning of her problems. After receiving the cryptic message from the ghost, she doesn't know what to believe. Things are happening at camp, changes and everything and apparently Kiley is still very much in danger. She also really wants to help the ghost out, for she seems to be suffering memory problems. Her appearance constantly changes.

There was a lot to learn in this book. Kiley is still adamant about discovering what she is. She battles to keep her old life and her new life separate, which can be hard on Parents' Day when Kiley gets an extra surprise visit.

I absolutely adore this series! I can't ever get enough of Lucas! Again, I am a sucker for childhood friendships reuniting! I have lost sooooo many good childhood friends because they moved so shortly after our friendship started, and seeing Kiley getting to be with Lucas again just touches my heart!

Lucas is a good boyfriend too! I'll admit, there are still some issues with his being a werewolf and Kylie being...something unknown! Kylie realizes this too in some ways, and she has it pointed out to her constantly by that b with an itch,--Della and Miranda's words--Fredericka! Lucas for the majority of the book has to battle his wolfy side since the full moon is nearly upon them. And as he explains it, everything gets heightened at that time. So when he has romantic interludes with Kiley, he struggles to keep himself under control. Although at times, Kiley wonders if she wants him to keep control!

We also get to see Miranda and Della develop some of their own love lives! Although Miranda more so than Della.

The other characters were as awesome as ever! Perry, oh Perry! How I adore that shapeshifter! He loves Miranda and does everything he can to get his emotions under control. Della, poor Della. We see her struggling to be like she was before being vampy, but it's hard. Yet she does try, she wants to find that balance of happiness and acceptance of who she is.

Throughout the novel, we are wondering who or what is stalking Kylie. She's had too many close calls. Also, the mystery with the ghost gets huge as well.

The ending, ohhhhhh the ending! It. Was. Epic.

We finally learn about who was stalking Kylie and why. And at the very very end, like literally the second to last page, we learn what Kylie is! Awesome, yes? Well, yes, but then there are just more questions as to what that means! And then of course there is the new ghost appearing that looks familiar, but is still a little too gruesome to be identified, yet Kylie feels like she knows who it is. Oh, and also the ghost's prophecy does come true. Did I forget to mention that?

I also have a suspicious feeling that by the end of the next book, or even the series finale, that I will not be happy about something. There was a revelation shortly before Kylie learns what she is and it sort of affected her. Deeply. And I really really hope it won't come to mean anything, because it's not the choice I would make! I won't go further than that. 

Overall Taken at Dusk--which is the perfect title--was superb! I totally loved it! Kylie and her friends are just so awesome! I can't always explain why I love the books I love so much. But the characters are definitely a top answer for my reasoning to the Shadow Falls series! I love them all! They are so deep, just when you think you might have one figured out, they surprise you! I so love this series! I truly hope that one day I can meet C.C. and tell her that in person! Hee hee! Always dreaming big, that's me!


Overall rating 5/5 stars




6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whispers at Moonrise is fantastic! I got a serious case of book depression afterwards :( But I'm sure Kylie will get everything figured out.. she always does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just finished Born at Midnight. I can't wait to get the next two books. I love both Lucas and Derek.. I have yet to pick a side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just heard about this series a month or so ago. I don't know why, since I love the covers. I must have noticed them when they came out. Great review- need to find out if my library as Born at Midnight (Book #1).

    And no, my library doesn't have it. Worth buying?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been forever since I read the first volume, but I remember going crazy over Lucas. :) great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds wonderful. I loved the first one, but haven't gotten a chance to read the others yet.
    Glad you enjoyed!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!