Jun 2, 2018

Comic Book Review--Scooby Apocalypse #20-22

’Tis the season in the apocalypse! The Scooby gang finds a moment to recover after narrowly escaping a harrowing battle, but when they wake up on Christmas morning, they find two members of their gang are no longer with them! With tensions having reached their breaking point, the gang is forced to face the consequences of their actions and try to once again find a glimmer of hope in this monstrous apocalypse. And in our backup story, Secret Squirrel’s mission to save the world continues as he meets his enemy face to face!









Diving right back into the world of Scooby Apocalypse, I've picked up the December issue which has the gang at Christmastime. Though a Christmas during a monster apocalypse seems pretty far-fetched, Fred is determined to give Cliffy a little bit of Christmas cheer if it kills him.

Meanwhile, Velma, Shaggy, and Daphne break into a super secret facility that has computers and backup information on the plague that Velma's brother's created. She's hoping to be able to uncover information that can help them put an end to this monsterous world. What she finds out is something astonishing all the same.

We're back with Secret Squirrel in this one as he and Honey go to convince the Mole to come help them try to figure out who's stealing scientists' brains when the unexpected happens.

I'll admit, this issue wasn't as exciting as I had anticipated. It was still good though, just not as actiony as one could hope for.

Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis are the writers from what I gather and then the illustrators contributing to this one were Wil Quintana, Carlos D'Anda, Andy Owens, Howard Chaykin, and Ron Wagner.



Rating 4/5 stars


The gang finally reaches the underground base, only to discover that their nightmare is just beginning. Plus, the fate of Scrappy-Doo-revealed at last! Plus, the daring adventures continue as Secret Squirrel goes where many men have gone before…!














You know, it's as I was copying this description from Goodreads, I'm thinking that it's totally off! Like that this might the description for issue #22! I noticed this on one of the others in my last round of reviews.

Anyways, in this one we find that at least two month have gone by! Shaggy looks very different in this one and wow! Does he look better! Lol! We've just learned that there is no cure for the plague. At least according to what Velma was able to find out. The gang has decided that they need a base of operations. They believe that there might be other survivors out there somewhere and if they had their own HQ they could better formulate a plan on how they can manage to survive this new world of theirs. 

Their prime location is an abandoned mall, though it's not so abandoned as there are monsters crawling all over the place. They think if they can get in via the sewers they might be able to get into the stronghold. But getting past a swarm of monsters isn't going to be easy.

I found this one to be more suspenseful in that Daphne is given the task of trying to get around or under the monsters and find a way into the mall. It was definitely one of those heart-pounding moments because at any moment the monsters might notice her!

In the Secret Squirrel issue we jump right back into action as Mole's girls are actually robots...possibly, maybe part robot. They were definitely more than human and they were not fans of Mile or 000 aka Secret Squirrel.

J.M. DeMatteis and Keith Giffen make up the writing team while this issue's illustrators were Carlos D'Anda, Andy Owens, Phil Jimenez, and Ron Wagner.


Rating 5/5 stars



The world as we know it is gone! The gang is left with two options: Save whoever they can or watch as the human race fades into extinction! Plus, the daring adventures of Secret Squirrel continue!













This was yet another issue where it felt like not much happened. Daphne and Fred try to assess whether the mall will be a good place for a home base when they run into a wide range of monsters. Monsters that seem to be fighting each other wearing shirts from the two rival department stores. It was very odd.

Meanwhile Shaggy and Velma fret over Daphne and Fred's absence and ready themselves to go into the mall to lend whatever helping hand they are able while Daisy, Cliffy, and Scooby remain outside. Though it looks a creepy something or other may be watching them from the shadows as well. 

I felt like in this issue and in the last one I was noticing little things among the drawings that was hinting at a Stranger Things fan moment! There were Christmas lights in this one and in these last two issues there was a monster who very much looked like a Gormogon. Pardon my spelling on that one, I spelled it like it sounds, yet it looks odd! Lol!

While I do love these covers we have going with the series I am baffled more often than not that they don't seem to reflect the story within well. Not that I expect to see the exact scene in the comic, but I would've thought it would at least fit in somehow but it really doesn't. Especially Shaggy's appearance on the cover versus in the comic itself.

There's another Secret Squirrel short in this one, it looks like this is the new added storyline in the comic series now. It's another good throwback for Hanna-Barbara, I just wish I knew more about that cartoon! Lol. In this one though, we are seeing more of the assassin who has failed twice now to kill Agent 000 and how he may be getting himself into a bit of trouble. 

I found it humorous when the scene changed to two more agents investigating a crime scene of a murdered physicist. The agents were familiar looking and when I heard their names, I had me a good chuckle as well! Very cute! *The agents part, not the fact that there was a man missing his brain in that part! Creepy and thankfully not overly graphic!

All in all, not a bad read, I just wish Scooby and the gang would've made more headway into their plan.

The writers this time were Keith Giffen and J.M DeMatteis while the illustrators were Carlos D'Anda, Dale Eaglesham, Scott Kolins, Andy Owens, Colleen Doran, and Ron Wagner.


Rating 4.5/5 stars


Finding myself growing tired as I was reading these three issues at the end of my day. Ready to vege out and watch some TV. I'll read the last three issues tomorrow and finally get myself all caught up with this comic series. And then I will get to "fall behind" again as I await the compilation to release of the next few issues. I just have to wait for said issues to all release! 

This is definitely a more mature Scooby Doo series and I find I rather like it! It's creepy and edgy and though the characters aren't the exact same as they were in the original cartoon, I find them to be just as likeable and reminiscent of their classic selves. 

I will be curious to see how long this comic series goes on for. I never did keep up with my original Scooby comic series which I believe is still running as well. I am anxious to see what an end goal might be, yet at the same time I am content to wait! Which I never thought I'd hear myself say! But a comic series is definitely different from a book series! 


Overall Rating 5/5 stars






 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!