Jun 20, 2018

Let's Discuss: Favorite Classics

Going back to a list of helpful topics I found one that I really feel like discussing! I might have talked about it in passing once or twice over the years on the blog, but let's give it its own little topic post!


Favorite Classic


As you might know, I am not really a "classics" reader. Unless you want to count Fairy Tales as classics, because I do read those every blue moon or so! Lol! But there was one classic that I read in school, it was actually the last year of school and after having been forced to read dozens and dozens of books that just bored me to tears but I read anyway, because it's homework, I finally found one I really, really enjoyed...


The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas was a book that had nothing paranormal or creepy in it. There wasn't really any mystery so much either, more of a conspiracy which is possibly where the draw began! But I think the main reason why I enjoyed this one was the revenge that Edmond planned out as he sat in prison.

He had help of course, but maaaaaan...his plan was awesome! He doesn't kill anyone because where is the revenge in that? Instead he destroys them. If memory serves, one did commit suicide and another may eventually be killed, but it wasn't by Edmond's hand.

And unlike the crappy movie that I only caught that last twenty minutes or so of, this book was truly awesome. That movie made me sick and I literally only saw a handful of minutes at the end and it totally changed everything because they wanted to make it all romantic. While this may have started out as a love story in part, it really didn't keep up as one. 

Though again, I haven't read this one in many, many years, so I could be forgetting some subtleties about any romance--though I do recall he and another girl were likely to get together without it being said, unless it was said. Again way too much time since I read it.

I think it was the revenge plot that kept me reading! Who doesn't love some justice served when the people who should've helped you were the ones hurting you? Yeah, so this one definitely made my list of favorite classics. It just took nearly all of my young school life to find it!

What is your favorite classic read if you have one?






5 comments:

  1. I have never read this one, and I actually enjoyed the movie. Though maybe because I haven't read the book. I watched it when it first came out in theaters but it's been many years since I saw it. I've always wanted to read the book and I have read The Three Musketeers and enjoyed it.

    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this book yet, but a lot of the people I know that have read this book absolutely loved it. It sounds so intriguing and I'd love to read it eventually. I think my favorite classic is Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. I love the book to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Hero Of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov is one of my favorite Russian classics! A fabulous must read!! I also love reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think mine would be how to kill a mockingbird or Fahrenheit 451. I haven't found many really old classics I like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one and I don't know much about it. I'll have to check it out. I actually loved classics when I was in high school and I was forced to read them --- I was weird like that. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!