Apr 27, 2018

Book Blogger Hop

This meme is hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addict!
 
 
 
This week's question is: Have you ever thought of writing a respectful, but angry letter to an author to ask them WHY they killed off one of your favorite characters in a novel? (submitted by Maria @ A Night's Dream of Books)
 
 
 
MY ANSWER: To be honest, no. I mean, a part of me longs to...but then I think about it from the author's point of view. There's usually a reason why that character had to die. I may not be able to accept it or like it, but I can usually understand it. As an aspiring writer myself, I've already killed off one character and have plans to kill off another once I get to revising that terrible first draft! Lol!

So while I would never write a letter to an author, I will say that I have asked the author in person why they had to do what they did. And I've found the answer usually has to do with the heroine/hero needing to grow without that particular someone there.






9 comments:

  1. I assume there's reasons... And it's not my place to give grief to an author for doing what they felt was needed for whatever reason they felt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can usually see the reason as well. There was a death in a book that made me angry as a kid but as an adult I can see why it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't ever go as far as writing to the author. That doesn't mean that I haven't been mad over something that happened in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I agree. I might joke about them with it if I ever met them at a signing, but to write em a letter... nah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely understand and agree with your answer. Authors have a write to form their own story and their own plot points, they get to decide what happens with their own characters, even if we don't agree with it. Thanks for sharing!

    Feel free to check out my Book Blogger Hop answer if you wish! :)

    - Charlotte (InkBlottings)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is a big thing to do on social media, especially if the author already has an account to interact with their fans, only to get hate and death threats when they kill of a beloved character. But for me, I don't take it personal. I really don't care, in fact, I like it when someone important dies because that's apart of life. The people we love die!! Don't send authors hate and death threats just because you can't handle their death. How do you think the author felt when they had to outline their fave's death?! And it's awesome that you understand the author's point of view being an author yourself.

    my BBH

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!