Aug 18, 2014

ARC Review--The Beautiful Ashes by Jeaniene Frost

In a world of shadows, anything is possible. Except escaping your fate.

Ever since she was a child, Ivy has been gripped by visions of strange realms just beyond her own. But when her sister goes missing, Ivy discovers the truth is far worse—her hallucinations are real, and her sister is trapped in a parallel realm. And the one person who believes her is the dangerously attractive guy who's bound by an ancient legacy to betray her.

Adrian might have turned his back on those who raised him, but that doesn't mean he can change his fate…no matter how strong a pull he feels toward Ivy. Together they search for the powerful relic that can save her sister, but Adrian knows what Ivy doesn't: that every step brings Ivy closer to the truth about her own destiny, and a war that could doom the world. Sooner or later, it will be Ivy on one side and Adrian on the other. And nothing but ashes in between…


I received this ARC while at RT 2014, I was in no way compensated for this review.


I was a very happy girl upon getting The Beautiful Ashes when at RT this year! Even with a slight delay because it was the wrong ARC, I was able to read this in nearly a day! Had I pushed myself, it would've been a one day read!

Jeaniene Frost is known for her epic vampire series but now she takes on something new and different! Biblical tales and demons! That's not to say this is a straight up re-telling of a Bible story, but more that a Bible story plays a rather large role in the course of the plot and characters even!

Ivy is searching for her sister who has gone missing, her parents have recently died in a car crash while trying to look for her sister. Basically, poor Ivy is having a really crappy week. Then she gets attacked by what she learns is a minion, a demon lackey so to speak and is rescued by the strange and enigmatic Adrian.

It's all a rush having the supernatural world collide with Ivy's normal one, but she has been "seeing: things for years, her parents thought her mentally unstable at times. So this plays a part in Ivy's readied acceptance of the strange and unusual. 

Adrian was quite the mystery himself as well. He seems to know more than he's letting on as he explains to Ivy of a magical weapon that if found, can help them rescue her sister.

The Beautiful Ashes is a fast paced, whirlwind of a read! I was eating up the pages, eager to know more about this world. One of my only complaints was that at times I felt rushed and that I was missing something. While it didn't really impede my reading or enjoyment, I just felt like at times I had missed something because the characters were already so far ahead. Perhaps it was nothing and I was just trying to get myself accustomed to the new world Jeaniene has created since her past three series have all been in the same world.

I also liked that she didn't have Ivy and Adrian instantly fall in love. Granted we have instant attraction and a compulsion that seems to keep these two together, but there's not much time for romance, although Jeaniene of course does deliver teases and tastes on that front!

The ending was a shocker! Just as I am wondering where this series could lead Jeaniene throws a whopper of a tale at us! It doesn't come out of nowhere really, but it's quite the shocking drop of info that will lead this trilogy (I believe) on its course! And I sooo cannot wait to get my hands on the next one because it was just enough of a jaw-dropping cliffhanger that leaves you needing the next one, but I am glad to say you won't (or shouldn't!) suffer from insanity with the wait!

The Beautiful Ashes introduces to a new world filled with beautiful creatures and characters that will no doubt continue to delight and entertain us. After all, this is a work of art by Jeaniene Frost! 


Overall Rating 4.5/5 stars


The Beautiful Ashes releases August 26, 2014





5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one as well. It was an awesome book. I think Jeanine Frost really did a good job using the Biblical elements in her story. Glad you like this as well.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! Frost is one of my favorite authors so I can't wait to get my hands on this once it releases :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this book! I love Jeaniene Frost's work. I'm so glad you liked it. Great review.

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by Jeanine Frost but this sounds badass! It this an adult reader or YA reader?

    Regardless, I love Bible mythos so I'll probably check it out!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds pretty awesome, Jessica! I think I'll have to read it soon :) Thanks for such an enthusiastic, cool review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!