Aug 14, 2014

Review--The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Mara Dyer knows she isn't crazy. She knows that she can kill with her mind, and that Noah can heal with his. Mara also knows that somehow, Jude is not a hallucination. He is alive. Unfortunately, convincing her family and doctors that she's not unstable and doesn't need to be hospitalised isn't easy. The only person who actually believes her is Noah. But being with Noah is dangerous and Mara is in constant fear that she might hurt him. She needs to learn how to control her power, and fast! Together, Mara and Noah must try and figure out exactly how Jude survived when the asylum collapsed, and how he knows so much about her strange ability...before anyone else ends up dead!







The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin is definitely a whirlwind of a headspinner! I mean I thought I was blown away with the first book but now I am completely out of the water, the water isn't even in sight because I am blown so far back! The game has definitely changed and there are oh so many questions!

Not much time has passed since the events of the first book, except this time, Mara wakes to find herself in a psychiatric unit. If you recall, she saw "something" rather disturbing when she went to initially turn herself into the police department. No one believes her when she tries to explain either, except for Noah of course. He believes her whole-heartedly.

When she comes back home, this is when things start to get serious...and intense. She's being told to attend an outpatient therapy group for teens which is a lot better than an inpatient treatment. And she's also being stalked by some shadowy figure, leaving behind "presents".

I really felt bad for Mara since her family just doesn't believe her. Family should always have your back and I get that they believe Mara is mentally unwell, but they really don't even give her the benefit of the doubt here. Since she has no physical proof of what she's saying, they automatically believe she needs help, but I kept wondering, where is your proof for what you believe? Sure there was some proof, but nothing to fully indicate that they are 100% right. Yeah, I got a little heated reading this at times because of the disbelief! That always gets my blood boiling when no one believes the main character for their "crazy" theories that turn out to be right!

The mystery only continues to grow in this one! There's definitely something hinky going on and there's still no clue as to WHAT! It's mind-boggling! I want to know! I want answers! And I know they're coming with the final book, but just wow! I can't remember the last time I went this crazy over a book and not knowing the answers as we draw near its end! There are still so many questions to be answered! 

As far as romantic aspects, Noah was once again a present factor. He and Mara have definitely formed a relationship and I have to admit, I kind of swooned a bit with all that this boy does for her! Known as the resident player of their high school, Noah has turned a new leaf and it's not a bad looking one at all! Mara is it for him and those moments they share together are just the most endearing kind!


The ending...oh the ending! The ending is where a dozen or so new questions appear! Like just what the heck is going on here?! What's happening?! I think I am going to go mad for the wait to November! I told myself not to read these books until the end of October, but I never listen to myself apparently! And there was yet another factor at the end that left my eyes bugging out, because that sooo cannot be true! The only upside is that I did wait until this long to read these books and my torturous wait until November is not nearly as long as other fans have suffered, but still...I'm suffering!

Michelle Hodkin has made her way through the fast lane onto my favorite authors list! This series is just incredibly enticing and I am eager for the finale!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars





4 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, I'm holding off on this because I hear the cliffhanger is killer in this one!
    I'm so excited to finish this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing what Nereyda's doing hahaha~ Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the series so much. I can't wait till the next one comes out in November! I've been holding on to the cliff for over a year now. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the first book, Jessica, and thought it was a mind-blower. It seems as though Hodkin keeps that up in #2. I can't wait to crack it open. I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!