Aug 7, 2014

Mini Review--Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane. Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in. Captivated. Lured. Loved.

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence…and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.



Note that while I am showing the cover for Shadows here and using its description, my copy that I read came from Opposition as the bonus story.


Shadows is the prequel to Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series and I never seemed to get around to reading it while reading the series itself. Almost seemed pointless at that point, but I am glad I did! This is basically the story of how Dawson met Beth.

In a different twist, this is told in third person point of view, in Dawson, Beth, and even Daemon's point of view. It becomes obvious at the end why it was necessary for Daemon's point of view to happen. And even having read the entire series already, I totally got it. Especially, considering this was released after the first book. So that makes things even better having saved this one for last! Weird, but yeah.

Dawson is a completely different guy than Daemon. Where Daemon was snarky a lot and you wanted to hit him upside the head--or dump spaghetti all over him--Dawson is actually quite nice. Sure, he's got a bit of attitude to him, but nothing like Daemon and when he first sees Beth, he's lost. And he doesn't try to fight it all that much. He wants to be with Beth and does his best to keep his secret from her.

I gotta say I loved their romance! It was so sweet. Very different than Katy and Daemon's starting out, but still enjoyable! Dawson and Beth didn't seem to have any problems with one another and were able to click right away. It's definitely a tender, sweet kind of romance!

But naturally, things get dicey and intense! Everyone is against Dawson and Beth being a couple--everyone being Daemon, Andrew, and Ash. Adam and Dee are happy for Dawson though. But there are still many dangers, such as a loose Arum running about. 

This read was rather long, nearly 200 pages, but it was still highly enjoyable! Things got pretty scary and intense at one point, and having read the series you can imagine what that part was! And the ending was just another shocker! So emotional! Yet again, I am glad I read the entire series already to know how everything works out in the end!

A very enjoyable read that I urge all Lux fans to read! It's a great prequel story to the series and I almost wish I could've read this first before I started the series itself, but I don't at all regret reading it last!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!